Thursday, August 24, 2006

In which the mittens are beaten into submission


The knitting on these was almost embarrassingly quick and easy, but the finishing is going to be a pain. As you can see here I am currently blocking them. See all the straight pins? I am an evil genius. I used some old cork tiles that once served to decorate a dorm room. TRY TO CURL UP NOW, I DARE YOU!

These are the finishing steps to go, in the order in which I am doing them:

1) Block those little suckers until they cry for mercy (check)
2) Embroider fancy swirls all over the backs of the hands
3) Attempt to sew them up
4) Crochet fluffy ruffly cuffs

In case there are still any knitters reading this, help me out with my seaming questions PRETTY PLEASE!

a) These are stripes. When I do the mattress stitch will the color I use for seaming show?
b) I did a garter-stitch selvedge on a stockinette mitten. Should I use the stockinette or the garter stitch version of the mattress stitch?
c) Is mattress stitch something I should be scared of?

2 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 5:32 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

What are you mattress stitching? What selvage? They look to be knitted in the round. Not that I'm an expert on the questions you ask, but I'm a little puzzled by the questions.

 
At 8/30/2006 1:18 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

I'm no expert, but I would suggest that the yarn you use for the mattress stitching probably will show. I don't know what the mattress stitch for garter stitch is, but I think if you have only a 1-stitch selvage perhaps the stockinette is more appropriate, since the selvage stitches should disappear into the seam. Sorry I can't help more.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home