Wednesday, June 28, 2006

il David

Ciao! Today after class Sara and I went to the Accademia, where they keep the actual David by Michelangelo. There was lots of religious art, mostly stuff from church altars, and a lot of it was very interesting. The David is friggin enormous. He's pretty cute too. Sara said that the reason the statue is so famous is that the anatomy is almost perfect except that his hands and feet are too big. My response was, of course, "you know what they say about men with big feet" but in this case it is very apparent that the rule doesn't apply here. We also saw several paintings of the madonna and child where Mary is breastfeeding, and one is from before they understood the slightest thing about anatomy and Mary's boob is in completely the wrong place. I'm sure everyone is really glad that I have described this painting now. And by everyone of course I mean Mom, since as far as I can tell no one else is reading this (hint hint leave comments people!)

No pictures were allowed, damn them, but I bought some great postcards. I finally found some of his FACE. Usually when you see close-ups of the David that's not what they zoom in on.

I'm a little blue at the moment because most of the friends I've made here are leaving this weekend. Poor me! All alone! Plus Rosella and the girls will be at the beach all weekend. Then Costy is going to scout camp for a while and Eleonora is going to stay at the beach all summer. I probably won't see her again, and I'm really bummed because she is such a cool kid.

Life in general is going well. I bought some hydrocortizone for the horrible mosquito bites I've been getting and life has been much better since then.

Y'all think of me the next time you eat tex mex or sonic and I'll think of you the next time I eat gelato or the fabulous perfect wood fired pizza they have here.

1 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad they can't take you to the beach, too. that would be fun and cooler than florence

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home