Monday, September 04, 2006

Queen of the Mattress Stitch

Thanks a bajillion to Auntieanne for her advice. By the way, what is your blog address?

So it turns out that mattress stitch is not hard. In fact, I would say that it is just as easy as any other seaming technique I've ever used and it LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER! I did both seams in probably a half an hour and they look practically seamless. (haha i'm so punny)

On stripes and seaming, no, the thread does not show. To be safe I used the lighter of the two colors, but it totally didn't matter. The only place it was visible at all was in the garter stitch cuff, but even then it was only little peeks which are practically invisible. The thing about seaming stripes is that the lines don't line up perfectly. Mine are a little less than half a stitch off. I tried again a couple of times to the same results, and then decided that it was a much smaller difference than you get when knitting in the round. I was unable to get a good pic but will see if I can get some help.

The garter stitch selvedge didn't get in the way or anything but I don't think I will deal with it again.

FO! Tomorrow I will bring these in to Mary Charles Yarn Company where they will begin their new lives as display pieces.

4 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 8:59 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Those are so cute! I'm so glad that they worked out. And now you have added a wonderful tool -- mattress stitching -- to your basket of skills.

(Still, I'll bet if you made another pair, you'd knit them in the round. I know you were trying to demonstrate this pattern and that's why you knit them flat.)

I'm at auntieannknits@blogspot.com. Stop by and say hi!

 
At 9/06/2006 2:39 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to think about knitting in the round for my mom. A hat might be good, so many rounds of plain knit stitch and voila! A hat (or most of it, anyway). I'm not sure how she'd fare with decreasing and DPN's, but I'll bet she could handle the circ part if I got it started.

I think I managed to fix my blogger profile to show my blog address.

Tell your Mom thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

 
At 9/08/2006 7:33 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Thanks for your nice comment on the bag! It's blocking now, and as I was pinning it I was reminded of your comment about beating the mittens into submission.

 
At 9/10/2006 3:24 PM , Blogger Alliesw said...

What beautiful mittens; mattress stitching is not my best skill--yours look great! And the yarn combo is sooo pretty.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home