Thanks for the comments on the socks. I have decided that y'all, especially Bradyphrenia, are smart (I guess realized would be more accurate) and the next time I see the recipient (hopefully Friday) I will present her with the mismatched socks, ask her to pick which fits better, and then confiscate the better sock so I can make another to match it. I have a sinking feeling that she will want the bigger size (harder to reproduce), but I will jump off that bridge when I come to it, as Dave always says. (me: Cross! cross that bridge!)
There was some curiosity about my thoughts on the Knitpicks DPNs. In all, I liked them. These are size 5, and they are 8" long--much longer than any other DPNs I've worked with. They are hard and shiny and long and look particularly wicked. It took me some time to get used to them, and even now that I am used to them I consider the length a little annoying and inconvenient. You could easily make an adult-sized hat without having to ever use a circular, but is that really necessary? Still, I think I will buy other sizes of them if I need them in the future. That or magic loop my Options, which I've also been doing lately.
Now for the task at hand. The blocking board actually came in third in the poll, but I decided it would be better to wait until I'd actually used it before bragging about how awesome and easy it is. You know, in case it spontaneously combusts on the first try or something.
So in the meantime, you get boobies.
I'm using Knitty's Tit Bits pattern, and as you can see I haven't assembled this first one yet. The yarn is Ornagi filati "Praemium" mercerized cotton. The one with more hot pink is the inner shell. I thought it would be fun to have a little hidden burst of color, plus it would save the fleshy color and I wouldn't have to worry about running out. Now I worry that it looks like the boob's "guts," but let's pretend that's what I was going for.
These are for a dear friend of my mother's, who is also the mother of one of my friends from high school. She was diagnosed with a particularly aggressive form of breast cancer and had a double mastectomy last week. She'll go through chemo for a while and then have reconstructive surgery, but she hasn't decided yet what size she wants her new bosom to be. Mom and I, with another of their friends, are planning to make her a few pairs of these in different sizes so she can "try them on," so to speak. I made mine DD, which will probably be closest to her old size. The pen is in that picture for scale.
Here is something you should all know about this Knitty pattern. If you do the knotted I-cord nipple, it will look sweet when you have knotted it...
...but fairly disturbing before you do so.
Just to warn you. And don't forget to do your breast self-exam!
Labels: tit bits