Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Venezia Update

Wanna see some pictures of Venezia?


The Bridge of Sighs.

Oh, wait, you wanted to see the *sweater!* Ok, bad joke.


I have finished knitting the body. Next I need to cut the steeks and work the neck. Looks a little dumb in that picture, doesn't it? Hopefully once I cut the steeks I will actually be able to fit my head through the hole.


Stripey!

But I am not as close to done as I was before.


If you look closely at the pic above, notice how much darker the first repeat is than any of the other repeats. This is because of a little phenomenon that, funnily enough, is called yarn dominance.

Yarn dominance means that in two-handed fair isle it matters which hand you hold which color in. I learned the hard way that the color you want to pop more--in this case, the lighter colors--needs to be in the right hand. Ugh. (Edit: LEFT! the Left hand! this is the same confusion that got me in trouble the first time!)

Now look closely at the top of that sleeve and notice that there are no needles in it, and that it is considerably less "done" than it was when you last saw it.

Frog frog frog.


Here's how much I've made up so far. I often tolerate mistakes in my knitting, but this one bugged me and seriously? I have spent way too much time on Venezia for it not to be completely, 100% perfect. So I will spend some more time on it, just to get it there.

In other news, happy birthday Mom! We celebrated tonight.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 3/22/2007 6:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's looking great! and you still are very, very close! :) yum. it's such a gorgeous sweater!

 
At 3/22/2007 8:11 AM , Blogger Da Gu Ma said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3/22/2007 8:13 AM , Blogger Da Gu Ma said...

Last night we ended the birthday celebration with fortune cookies. Wasn't it yours that said "Nothing's perfect?" The fortune-teller obviously didn't mean Venezia! Love, Mom

 
At 3/22/2007 8:37 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Happy Birthday, Liz's Mom! You have a lovely, charming, smart and talented daughter.

 
At 3/22/2007 11:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

I have never seen such a great example of yarn dominance. Hmm, I guess that is not something to praise, but it is a good reminder.

 
At 3/22/2007 1:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweater is absolutely lovely!! And thank you for the lesson about yarn dominance. I never would have thought about it otherwise.

 
At 3/22/2007 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between the mention of steeks and the yarn dominance issue, Fair Isle is scaring me! It's looking beautiful though...

 
At 3/22/2007 10:40 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

Oh my gosh, Liz...that is sooo beautiful! I agree with you, though...for all the work you have put into it, you want it right. You'll be so much happier with it. If it bugs you now...you KNOW it will later. I am sooo impressed!

Happy birthday to your mom! She must be so proud of her girl!

 
At 3/29/2007 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe how close you are to finishing that sweater. I hope cutting the steeks aren't too scary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home