Thursday, May 24, 2007

Turning a Corner

It's been a loooooooong time since I posted about the Cherry Leaf Shawl. This is how it looks right now:



The bindoff I did was the suspended bindoff, the only bindoff mentioned in Victorian Lace Today, which they promise "makes it very difficult to bind off too tightly." Well, I call BS on that. I even went up a needle size or three (really I can't remember if I used the 6 or the 8, so literally a size or three).

Then I started attaching the edging backwards. At first I thought I could deal with both of these things, but eventually I decided that the bindoff had to go, and as long as I was ripping stuff out I might as well also rip the border and do it right.

The top of the center triangle is now a bunch of live stitches held on an Options cable. When I finish the edging I plan to put the stitches at the start and end of the edging on the same cable and use a crochet bindoff I've been playing with that, hopefully, will make an edge that actually stretches and looks pretty. The top edge is supposed to be done in crochet anyway, so I think it will go nicely. Hope so, anyway.

Yesterday I worked the bottom corner of the edging, and man was that a PIA. Got it right on my third try, but notice the lifelines in red--one to secure all my hard work before the turn, and one to make sure that if something happens on this side of the triangle nothing will happen to those three aggravating repeats.

I have also been making



A Ravenclaw scarf in anticipation of the latest movie and the newest book, both due out in July (oh the suspense!)



Oh, and I finished my socks. These don't fit as well as the other socks I've made myself. The cuff and heel are too loose, and then somehow the toe is a little too tight. They aren't uncomfortable, but it bugs me. Still, the yarn (Bearfoot) is awesome and makes up for any flaws in the knitting.

I'm down to two projects on the needles, which is the lowest I've gone in months. I think once the shawl is done I'll start thinking about the Origami Cardi again. Oh, and I'm supposed to be making some socks for my brother.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 5/24/2007 2:04 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

That shawl is beautiful. I can't wait to see it blocked and finished. I just managed to get my grubby hands on a copy of VLT and am trying to pick my first project. For some reason, I'm dying to knit some lace this summer.

And did you say only 2 WIPs?!?! That speaks to an amazing amount of restraint on your part. I have more projects than sense on the go at the moment and it's getting frustrated since it feels like nothing ever gets any closer to being finished.

 
At 5/24/2007 3:47 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Those are both beautiful, and wonderful colors, too! But if those are your Roza's socks, I thought they were more blue? You know I love all things purple, but alas I don't think they'd fit me or I'd offer to take them off your hands.

 
At 5/24/2007 9:27 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Your shawl is a beauty! Good luck with it.

 
At 5/28/2007 6:43 AM , Blogger Carol said...

Your shawl is beautiful...

 
At 5/28/2007 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..I dream of having only two project on the needles. I have absolutely no idea how many I've got, but I know that only five or six are active at the moment. I think we need a new scale for measuring WIP quantities...

 
At 5/29/2007 12:57 AM , Blogger sherriknits said...

Wow, love the shawl!!!! The socks are great, too....but hey, I think you need to start expanding a little, only 2 wips? I could send you some of mine!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home