Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sundries

I find it a little ironic that just after I started acquiring a pretty decent readership to this blog, I suddenly became unable to maintain regular blogging habits. Part of me hopes that you are all reading this through bloglines so you don't waste a lot of time each day clicking through favorites, only to see that once again, Liz has not updated. I used to do that before I found bloglines, and the one that sticks out most is Eunny's blog, which dropped off around the same time that I started reading it. (hope that wasn't my fault!)

Anyway, here is a brief update on where we stand with the wedding plans.
-The cake has been arranged and is going to be delicious
-The rehearsal dinner has nearly been arranged and is going to be delicious
-The flowers have been arranged and are going to be beautiful. We're using blue and white hydrangeas--white for me with a little blue, and blue for the bridesmaids. I showed the florist my veil and he immediately pulled out some Queen Anne's Lace, which will pop out of the hydrangea bouquets in a most attractive way.
-The dress. I am so excited about the dress! When my grandparents got married in 1948 my grandmother wore this dress.


My aunt wore it, then my mother wore it, and then my uncle's wife wore it. And as much as I loved the idea of being the fifth bride in my family to wear such a special dress, I could not get past that shoulder ruffle and the giant butt bow, not shown.

To make a long story short, we're taking apart that enormous skirt and turning it into another dress entirely. I had my second fitting last week and have the third on Thursday, and it's coming together beautifully. I may post pictures later, provided my fiance will agree not to look. It's not the bad luck aspect I'm worried about, it's the ruined surprise.

I have been knitting, too! Those Christmas socks are done.


Yarn: Claudia Handpainted in DF Green
Needles: US 1
Pattern: nothin special in the toe and foot, Baudelaire heel, 3x1 ribbing in the cuff.

I still need to give these a vinegar bath so they don't bleed on the recipient's feet. I think he's going to love them, though.

Much progress has been made on the cardigan front, and I am working on the bottom of the sweater right now. I am making things more complicated than they need to be, but I think the final result will be worthwhile. I couldn't get a good picture, though, so you will have to wait. I haven't knit on the gauntlets at all, but anticipate picking those up as soon as the cardi sleeves get boring.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 10/28/2007 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloglines really is a wonderful thing. That's cool that you'll be re-doing a family heirloom dress. That's what my sister-in-law did. I wouldn't have been able to remotely fit into my mom's dress (even with modifications), and I didn't want white anyhow. Good luck keeping it a surprise from your fiance. I had to have Jason's opinion, so there were no surprises!

 
At 10/28/2007 7:28 PM , Blogger sherriknits said...

Thanks for showing us the before, I hope we get to see the after. :) You are going to be a beautiful bride!
I used Bloglines, too, but I still don't mind clicking through once in awhile, just in case!

 
At 10/29/2007 6:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait to see the after pictures!!!

 
At 10/29/2007 7:55 AM , Blogger knottygnome said...

what a nice tradition! can't wait to see the dress.

 
At 10/29/2007 8:58 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Giant butt bow! I had no idea. Your new dress will be so beautiful. Nice socks there, too. I'm sure the recipient will love them.

 
At 10/31/2007 6:27 PM , Blogger WineGrrl said...

What a great idea...I can't see you with a "butt bow," anyway! ;-D

 
At 11/19/2007 6:08 PM , Blogger g-girl said...

i, too, have gotten behind in my blog reading as well. thank goodness for bloglines! wow, that is amazing that your wedding dress has been kept in the family and will hopefully continue to be worn for generations to come! buttbow?? teehee.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home