Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Best. Kneesocks. Ever.


I actually finished these last Wednesday but have been lazy and busy (a weird combination, I know). Here they are at last!


For those who care, I knit them toe up on size 1's (started with DPNs, switched to two knitpicks circs) using Koigu KPPPPPPPPPM, dye code appears to be P423. It took about two and a half skeins. I used Widdershins to make the heel.


I invented the lace pattern, which grows wider as you go up the leg. I talked at one point about doing a tutorial on "kneesocks that fit your calves" but I am lazy and busy. So here's the no-picture version. Please remember I'm talking about a toe-up sock, so just exchange "decrease" for "increase" wherever you need it.

Look at your legs. Many (most) of the kneesock patterns out there put the decreases or increases (depending on which way you go) on either side of a seam right up the back of your leg. This can work sometimes, but the truth is, when my calves get bigger they get bigger all over, not just in the back. I want my motifs that run up the side of my leg to stay centered. To do this I'll need to increase all over the sock, not just in the back.


Hey, someone has already thought of this! In Nancy Bush's Folk Socks, the Norwegian stockings (top-down) have all their decreases in one round, below the widest part of the calf. But my calves aren't shaped like that. They change size gradually. Plus, the way that pattern is written you only change the circumference of the sock by about an inch, and I don't know about you guys but there's more than an inch difference in my shapely legs.

Here's what I did. I got out a tape measure and a pen that I knew would wash off. I marked the point on my ankle where you switch from the foot part to the leg part. I measured up to the top of my shin. 13". I then used the tape measure (a mirror is helpful here too) to put 13 lines at intervals of one inch all the way up my shin. Then I measured the circumference of my leg at each interval and marked it down, and then I made a little graph. I found out that there was a four inch difference between my ankle and the widest part of my calf.


Next I designed my motif. You can see how easy it would be to add an extra yarn-over in there to widen the pattern. (Can you? I can try to take better pictures) Each increase section was about eight rows, and increased the sock by 8 stitches. I wound up only needing two increase sections.

It's going to be a long time before I knit kneesocks again, because these took forEVER, but I know the next time I'll do something similar to this so that the motifs all line up and follow the curve of my leg. I think this is a lot more flattering and way more fun!


(Can you tell it's time to dust the mirror?)

14 Comments:

At 10/31/2006 6:54 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Those are so gorgeous! They might even make me re-consider my unreasonable prejudice against YO holes in socks. Or maybe that was just men's socks.

 
At 11/01/2006 1:39 AM , Blogger Nell said...

They are gorgeous, nice work! And BTW, I thought mirrors were supposed to be dusty? Mine alwasy is... :)

 
At 11/01/2006 9:58 AM , Blogger Susie H said...

Now those truly are Socks That Rock - well done!! great job working those increases. They are stunning socks...

 
At 11/01/2006 2:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely knee socks! I keep meaning to make some, but it might be a while before I get around to that...

 
At 11/01/2006 2:29 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

I could not be any more impressed than I am looking at this! You are sooo amazing!

 
At 11/01/2006 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out those knee socks!
-Knastymike

 
At 11/02/2006 3:32 AM , Blogger Zonda said...

Those are awesome! Great job! Look really good on you! I'm about to start a pair for myself..eeek size 1's.. :)

 
At 11/02/2006 7:48 AM , Blogger knottygnome said...

beautiful!

 
At 11/02/2006 10:56 AM , Blogger Thea said...

the fun of comments on my stuff is that I go and look at other peoples stuff.. What great socks! And, I'd forgotten all about that BlueAlvarez sweater, which I had bookmarked for future knitting... It looks great.

 
At 11/03/2006 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are cool! I love the color!

 
At 11/03/2006 11:22 AM , Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Awesome knee socks! I love the way you did the calf increases. Clever.

 
At 11/03/2006 3:37 PM , Blogger utilly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/03/2006 3:38 PM , Blogger utilly said...

Hmmn, more socks, I see a lot of socks here in Wales, (mostly shorter than those, mind). Thanks for the comment on cast-on.

I had to swing by to tell you just how stoked I was to hear that Chartists and Senica Falls, same year! Who knew? Fabulous...

 
At 11/14/2006 1:51 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I very rarely post on blogs, but WOW! Those socks are amazing! I'd definitely knit those if there was a pattern out there. If you don't feel like making one, I'm even thinking of following your instructions on adding yo's to a pattern. Just beautiful!

~Denice

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home