Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hallelujah


I finished the right kneesock tonight.

The reader thinks: how is this possible? Wasn't she going to do some crazy sideways knit cuff, knit right on to the sock? Last time we saw the socks, wasn't she not even done with the ribbing, which she kept complaining was taking forever?

Well, yeah. But I sat down to start on that part tonight, and before I knew it I was binding off. I don't regret it a bit.

Maybe I'm not such a fearless knitter. I started trying to do the cuff and just couldn't get my head around it. It was too much to deal with. But I've also been feeling really discouraged about my almost-nonexistent progress and the fact that there's a whole 'nother sock leg to knit. I was ready to be done with this sock, and now I am.



The next time I try a turn-down cuff, it will be a top-down sock. Easier to start with that rectangle, at least I think so. But that will be a long time from now.

Eliminating this step means that there is a chance I'll finish these by the end of Socktober, which is the most encouraging thing of all. I know Lolly says you don't even have to have a specific goal, but I did want something to show for a month's worth of sock knitting.

Also, I left my sock at school yesterday, which only made me more anxious about finishing them, but gave me time to finish these:



Cute, huh? The one on the right was my first try and I'm not terribly happy with the way he turned out. I named him Lumpy McLosingstuffing and he'll stay with me so that I don't have to choose which of my friends gets the crappy bear who will probably fall apart if he is loved too much.

It may not be snowing here, but we did have a rather spectacular Weather Event. It rained, hard, all day Sunday and most of Monday. Monday afternoon this is what the bayou (stream) less than one block from my apartment looked like:



I wish I had a before picture. This stream has a CONCRETE BOTTOM. And SIDES. Can you see the concrete? No, because it's flooded. Ten feet deeper is a conservative estimate. Fifteen feet is probably closer. It's also three times wider than usual. The water was moving fast, too. Scary stuff, but this makes me glad I'm on the second floor. I just wish my car was that high, too!

The rain has stopped and the water receded, but it's SO muggy and gross outside. In a couple of days we'll probably have the mother of all mosquito clouds. Good thing I never leave the house.

3 Comments:

At 10/18/2006 9:09 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Congrats on the sock! It looks fantastic! Such cute bears, too.

 
At 10/19/2006 12:18 PM , Blogger Susie H said...

Whoa!! That is one fabuloso sock - makes me glad I haven't tried knee socks though. That's a LOT of knitting....

 
At 10/19/2006 9:41 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

I am sooooooooooooooo impressed with your knee sock! I get bored after a 6 inch cuff! haha

I just love your bears and I cried when I read the comment you left on my blog. Life has been so stressful I can barely knit! I'd LOVE a bear. :) Thanks so much..things like that mean so much!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home