Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Socktoberfest homework

Socktoberfest is in full swing. Last night I celebrated by frogging those four rows I messed up on, re-knitting them, realizing I'd goofed again, then getting the ball of yarn all tangled up. Gotta frog again.

Anyway they asked us some questions. At Lolly's blog you can read the other responses.

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I started making socks around february. I learned from a pattern someone in the LYS gave me and from Sensational Knitted Socks. Great resource.

* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

light blue baby cashmerino on size 3s. I gave them to my mom and she loved them. I think they're still in good shape but I don't know how often she wears them, since they're pretty warm.

* What would you have done differently?

I wish that yarn came in colors other than pastel and black. I wish I'd been able to do a better job tacking down the last two kitchenered stitches. I think I knit a purl somewhere. Other than that they were great socks.

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

Koigu, but I've decided to stick with solid yarn and complicated patterns from now on.

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

Crocheted socks don't sound very pleasant for feet. I knit on 5 dpns or 2 circs. I am lovin the 2 circs.

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

Heel flap and round heel. I like Widdershins' imitation too.

* How many pairs have you made?

Just 3! I am on pair 4 right now.

They didn't ask whether you prefer toe-up or top down. I am doing my first toe-ups right now and am glad to have this skill in my knitting arsenal, but there's something nice and straightforward about a top-down sock. It does leave you with a lot of extra yarn, though.

3 Comments:

At 10/03/2006 5:28 PM , Blogger Alliesw said...

Great to hear so much about your sock knitting habits. I joined socktoberfest....but haven't gotten that far yet! Soon, I hope! I still need to pick out my yarn (fear not, there is plenty in my stash, I won't have to wait!)

 
At 10/04/2006 11:05 AM , Blogger Bear Knits said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I'm currently using Lang Jawoll for my socks. If it turns out too small, it will go to my daughter.

 
At 10/04/2006 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let work get in the way of our knitting! Ha, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I know what you mean about sticking to solid yarns. I love striping yarn but they don't look good in many patterns and I get bored with them easily.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home