Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Shiny

I had probably the best weekend in the history of weekends. I know it's Wednesday now, but there were lots of people I had to call before I could post about it.


Dave and I are engaged! Yes, it was a surprise, and no, we haven't set a date yet (but we're thinking about 2 years from now).

On Thursday I found out that my usual Saturday fencing class was cancelled, so I could go up to visit Dave a day early. When I told him, he said he wanted to take me out for a nice dinner "for my birthday." "My birthday isn't for another two weeks," I said. "Yeah, well, I really want a good steak."

So I headed down Friday afternoon, managed to get myself caught in the mother of all Memorial Day Weekend Rush Hours, and after two long hours arrived at his house. It was sprinkling, but he said he wanted to go for a walk anyway. So we parked about halfway across the Texas A&M campus from the restaurant and then walked from there. As we walked by the bell tower, he asked me if I'd like to go in.


And there under the arches he asked me to marry him. I said yes. Of course. Hurray!


The ring is beautiful but I guess you'll have to click for a big version since my camera takes terrible closeups. It's prettier than anything I could have imagined, and I love the sapphire side stones. I keep missing green lights because I'll gaze at it while stopped at intersections. Ooops.

So yeah, in all, a very good weekend.

Labels:

26 Comments:

At 5/30/2007 10:37 AM , Blogger knottygnome said...

congratulations!

 
At 5/30/2007 12:15 PM , Blogger Bear Knits said...

Congratulations!!!

P.S. - Staring at the ring never gets old. I still catch myself doing it 14+ years later.

 
At 5/30/2007 12:21 PM , Blogger cheryl said...

congratulations to you both!
what wonderful exciting news.

 
At 5/30/2007 12:37 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Squee! Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!

 
At 5/30/2007 12:55 PM , Blogger WineGrrl said...

YAY! COMPLIMENTI!!!!

I mean....

YAY! CONTRATULATIONS!!!!

 
At 5/30/2007 1:14 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Wow, that's fantastic news. Congrats! What a gorgeous ring.

 
At 5/30/2007 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! :) gorgeous ring! I'm happy for you + dave!

[and as bear knits said -- staring at the ring doesn't get old. I still stare at mine, too. :) ]

 
At 5/30/2007 1:55 PM , Blogger Amelia said...

Congratulations!! The ring is beautiful!

 
At 5/30/2007 3:17 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Wonderful news! Best wishes (LOL).

 
At 5/30/2007 8:59 PM , Blogger Carol said...

Congratulations!!!!Your ring is very nice....

 
At 5/30/2007 10:07 PM , Blogger sherriknits said...

I am sooooooooo excited for you! Congratulations. I especially love that your mom commented awhile back that he was, indeed, a great guy. :) (((((hugs)))) oh yeah, the ring is BEAUTIFUL! May you never stop looking at it with the joy and wonder you have right now.

 
At 5/30/2007 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, girl! He did a great job with the ring, love those sapphires!

 
At 5/31/2007 1:38 AM , Blogger Nell said...

Wow! Congratulations, and wasn't he romantic!

 
At 5/31/2007 3:34 AM , Blogger Michael said...

WHOOP! Congrats to you both!

 
At 5/31/2007 7:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog friends will love Dave even more when they find out he called us the Sunday before to tell us what he was planning. I think he was asking for our approval but we started blubbering in excitement as soon as he said engagement ring. We are very happy to have him join our family. And TJ couldn't have gotten a better bro-in-law if he'd been making the choice himself! Best wishes!

 
At 5/31/2007 11:01 AM , Blogger Kristy said...

Hi, I saw your comment on Kelp Knits, and I thought I'd say congrats too :) I just got engaged a few weeks ago, so I know the feeling! Have fun with it :)

 
At 5/31/2007 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I did blow it up and it is a very pretty ring. I have to admit that I could have thought of a more romantic location to pop the question, but then I went to UT.

 
At 5/31/2007 12:42 PM , Blogger g-girl said...

congratulations, indeed! the ring is gorgeous. I agree with bear knits, starting @ the ring never gets old!! ;) thanks for the sharing the engagement story too..and I love that he called your parents before to tell them what he was planning. what a sweetheart! :)

 
At 5/31/2007 1:22 PM , Blogger knitty_kat said...

Congratulations! it's lovely!

 
At 5/31/2007 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The ring is beautiful.

 
At 6/02/2007 9:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both! The ring is lovely.

 
At 6/02/2007 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felicitations? Best wishes? Well done? Fantastic?

Alright I wanted to break up the linguistic monotony, but I'll give up while I'm ahead.

Congratulations!!

 
At 6/04/2007 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend and a thrilling surprise. Best wishes to you and Dave! I suppose this means you can now safely knit him a sweater :-)

 
At 6/04/2007 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! Congratulations. Your ring is so beautiful. See, you weren't that far off from wedding planning after all!

 
At 6/07/2007 9:01 AM , Blogger Susie H said...

Lovely, lovely news, and a gorgeous ring as well. Congratulations to you two.

BTW, the Cherry Leaf shawl is breathtaking as blocked!

 
At 6/08/2007 9:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That is the best news. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home