Sunday, July 29, 2007

Anklets

I am going to spare you further shots of my veil, which could also currently be identified as "giant fuzzy shower cap". I will be done with the lace pattern for the center in just nine more rows.

The blazer finally got frogged a little, but not as much as it needs to be. I'm just way more interested in the veil right now, which isn't such a bad thing. If you're going to practice project monogamy with any project, wouldn't your wedding veil be the most fitting thing to get such devotion?

But I finished something, amazingly enough. These were actually a half-row and bindoff from being done for nearly a week, but the veil (ok, and Harry Potter) kept me away.



The yarn: Cascade Sassy Stripes, about 2/3 a skein
The pattern: my own invention
The stripes: deliberately asymmetrical
The weird ribbing around the feet: "arch support", or a nice socky hug for your feet.


The heel: my upside-down dutch heel, which I decided I don't actually like that much. It doesn't fit well, and you don't wind up with enough stitches for the sock to go all the way around your upper heel. I had to do the decreases very gradually, and the stitches are still very spread out around the upper heel.
The verdict: very cute, very fun stripes, but not my best work.

In other news, my good buddy Kate brought me yarn from Ireland! It's green, "like Ireland."



It's 100g pure wool and feels great, with a cool thick-and-thin texture. What should I do with it? It would make a really cute hat with plenty left over, but I'm not sure if there's enough for a scarf. It also looks like it would felt really well, so maybe a bag? Or I could use it as the thick yarn in some scribble knitting... (example)

hmmm...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7/29/2007 10:01 PM , Blogger sherriknits said...

Ok, I don't know where my first reply went....I'll try again.

I love your socks...have always wanted to try that arch support ribbing like that. I know what you mean by experimenting to find the pieces you like the best...we only learn by trying different things. Now that I took Cat's class, I have tons of new things to try...it's like the sky is the limit!

I am enjoying your veil pictures. I feel silly some days posting my 1 inch progress on my shawl and sometimes will just spare everyone from endless pictures like that...but I do love seeing yours!

 
At 7/30/2007 1:11 AM , Blogger Nell said...

I think they look great. Good idea for the ribbing, and I like the way the stripes go in different directions when you go from the heel to the ankle. Looks interesting.

 
At 7/30/2007 8:31 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Cute socks! I love the colors, and the idea of the huggy instep.

 
At 7/31/2007 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, purple! The arch support ribbing is a good idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home