Monday, June 04, 2007

Up to something

I've been up to something. Up to a few things, to be more accurate.

I blocked my shawl. I did it at night, so all the pictures are terrible, but they're the best I've got. It went from this:


To this:


I like the way it turned out, from top:


to bottom:


But I am not happy with the "Real" FO shots so I will try to get those sometime soon. Special thanks to Kelp! for letting me borrow the blocking wires!

I've also been making socks for my brother.


In camoflage, as he requested. I'm using Artyarns Supermerino, which is as expensive as it is luscious, so I'm knitting them toe-up in hopes that I won't have to dip into the third skein I bought. I have been experimenting with heels for toe-up socks.


I did my first (real) short-row heel ever. The yarnover one, from the latest IK. I hated it, so then I did my second short-row heel ever. The w&t one from SKS. I hated it, too. (it's the one on the right) Proponents of the short-row heel will no doubt be looking up the links to their favorite hole-free short row pages, which I gladly welcome. But I decided not to wait for such a thing, and that I would make my own heel.

The heel on the left is knit to about 3" short of the total length of the foot, then you knit a heel flap on half the stitches. Something odd was going on with my gauge, so instead of the usual as-many-rows-as-there-are-stitches-total heel flap, I only did 22 rows (it's a 36-st sock). Then I turned the heel using the dutch heel-ish method, which goes like this:

slip 1, purl 11 (of 18), p2tog, turn
slip 1, knit 6, ssk, turn
slip 1, purl 6, p2tog, turn
slip 1, knit 6, ssk, turn
slip 1, purl 6, p2tog, turn
slip 1, knit 6, ssk, turn

and so on until all the stitches are worked. It creates a narrow band up the back of the heel that I like. Then you pick up the stitches and work the gusset like normal, though I added nearly an inch of plain stockinette before starting the back-of-leg pattern, so it wouldn't look too weird. I hope.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 6/04/2007 5:12 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

I like the heel you made up! The short-row heel -- is it possible it was started too soon? It looks a little bit stretched. It's hard to tell from photos. I'm sure Tom will love these socks!

 
At 6/04/2007 5:36 PM , Blogger knitty_kat said...

I like how easy short row heels are but I'm not fond of the way they fit or look. I really like your heel flap - I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself!

 
At 6/04/2007 5:40 PM , Blogger sherriknits said...

I get tired just reading about all the things you accomplish!
I managed to do a short row heel successfully once and for the life of me when I wanted to do it again, could not remember how I did it. ahhh, well, one of these days.
Love the shawl!

 
At 6/04/2007 9:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty! You need to post some better photos though, that yarn is too gorgeous to hide in low lighting.

There's a couple of knitty patterns that have a toe-up heel flap, baudelaire and widdershins. For next time, ya know?

 
At 6/05/2007 5:46 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6/05/2007 5:47 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

I love seeing the difference between unblocked and blocked lace. Your shawl is lovely. I like the subtle variegation in the yarn.

 
At 6/05/2007 9:55 AM , Blogger Da Gu Ma said...

I love the look of your made-up heel. It also looks like it might fit Tom's long, skinny foot better than the short row heel (which looks short). He is going to love these socks.

 
At 6/06/2007 5:58 AM , Blogger Amelia said...

The shawl is beautiful! My attempt at lace lasted only about 6 rows before I realized I had messed something up. Oh, well. Yours looks great and is giving me the inspiration to begin again!

 
At 6/06/2007 6:58 AM , Blogger Carol said...

I love the socks...I have never done a short heel so must try one..
Lace shawl is pretty...I tried doing a lace scarf and gave up..yarn is sitting in my basket waiting for me to pick it up again..maybe now I will......

 
At 6/07/2007 7:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl is gorgeous! Also, that's my favorite toe-up (and top down) heel. No other heel seems to fit my feet quite right.

 
At 6/08/2007 12:20 PM , Blogger g-girl said...

the shawl looks amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home