Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Save this blazer!

Along with the purple socks and veil, I've been working on the Equestrian Blazer from Interweave Knits (for pic click and scroll down). There is a LOT going on in this blazer. I have one of the fronts done, but sadly I do not think I will "have it going on" while wearing this blazer. Namely, Liz's Crazy Row Gauge has conspired to make this sweater two inches longer than it's supposed to be. And I'm pretty sure that will make the hem hit somewhere closer to the "dumpy" range than the "smokin'" range.

Here's a picture, you'll probably have to click for big to see everything I'm talking about.



The bottom, to the waist, is shaped with short rows and decreases along a seam line, highlighted in yellow (ok, they're all yellow, but you can spot the lowest one, right?) You knit straight for just a few rows, giving a place to attach the button, and then start the Interesting Upper Half, where you simultaneously a) increase along the bust dart line, b) decrease where you want the neck to widen and c) increase the number of stitches in the collar, which will fold over when you're done.

(that tab at the top is where the collar wraps around the back of your neck. Ignore it for now)

Still with me? I want to make it two inches shorter from armpit to hem. As far as I can tell, these are my options:

1) Frog to two inches below where I started the armhole and start the armhole there instead
advantages: easier
disadvantages: will it look weird to have the bust dart right on top of my bust? Aren't those supposed to be below the bust?

2) Frog to the waist and redo everything, working the collar and neck the same way I did before but putting more "slope" in the bust line. To do this I'd work the increases every three rows instead of every four, and I'd need about 10 rows fewer--just under 2"
advantages: might look better
disadvantages: more thinking required, and I'd have to figure out how to make a perfect M1 from the purl side

I suppose a third option would be to work with gauge and needle size until my row gauge is right and then maybe make a bigger size? But that sounds like such a PIA, plus the bigger sizes come out longer (the whole problem in the first place), plus I also have most of the back done.

A fourth, of course, would be to give up. But I'm not that desperate yet.

Help! Advice, tips, tutorials, more options are welcome!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 7/05/2007 7:01 AM , Blogger Amelia said...

I'm not really very good at this sort of thing, but maybe knit a sleeve next, block the three pieces and assemble, then see how it fits based on one side of your body?

That might not work, but (unless you're frogging the whole thing) you'll need to make sleeves eventually, right?

 
At 7/05/2007 8:57 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

I'm thinking #2. I think bust darts are supposed to end just below the bust. Amelia has a good suggestion, too, methinks. Or even if you just pin the back and the one front, that might help you to decide.

 
At 7/05/2007 10:40 AM , Anonymous Melissa said...

I guess if it were me, I would rip back to where you want the bust dart to end and then make the sleeve hole come sooner. No fun though.

 
At 7/05/2007 11:27 AM , Blogger g-girl said...

First of all, do not give up on this! I can see you wearing this blazer. I have very little experience in the garment dept. so my basic mind would be to just frog back two inches but, maybe option #2 would be best.

 
At 7/05/2007 12:27 PM , Blogger Heather said...

I have issues with top-down raglans, so I don't really have any useful advice. But, I am pretty sure that bust darts are supposed to be below (underneath) the bust, not on top of it. I don't think I'll try this pattern any time soon, though I really like it. Good luck!

 
At 7/06/2007 5:36 AM , Blogger Webbo said...

I love this pattern. And I can remember someone on the Knittyboard who did take out a couple of inches - I think she removed the length below the arm, as you're thinking of doing. The thread is probably long gone but perhaps she blogged about it. I'll have to do some digging...

 
At 7/07/2007 1:58 PM , Anonymous kelp! said...

Ooh, that sweater is going to look great on you. I'd frog to the waist and reknit, but then I am anal retentive. The m1's from the purl side aren't any different than the knit side, and the result will probably look better.

 
At 7/10/2007 4:12 PM , Anonymous Maia said...

Don't give up on it. It is a very cute pattern. I would probably frog to the waist and take out a row here and there (take good notes on what you do!). You definitely want the dart to be below the bust.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home