Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Loony?



Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a steady mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind...

(Sorting Hat song, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Though some have questioned the wisdom of knitting oneself a doubly-thick wool scarf (it's done in stockinette in the round) to wear while standing in line for a movie, outside, in Texas, in July. But I wouldn't put it past my favorite Ravenclaw, Luna Lovegood--especially if it was supposed to protect against Nargles or Crumple-Horned Snorkacks.

I finished the first Twisted Flower sock, but I'll take a picture later. That thing is so hard to capture! I can't start the second because I need to wind the yarn, and my ball winder is currently holding the laceweight merino for my veil. I'm worried about tangles, so I'm putting off taking it off the ballwinder core until I have an empty paper towel roll I can use instead.

I wish you could feel how soft and squishy this is.



And because I can't wind the yarn for the second Twisted Flower, I started another sock.



This is in Cascade Sassy Stripes Superwash--the same yarn Mom used for her sock-in-a-day sock. One of the stores downtown that sells cool "sundries" has started selling yarn recently, and a lot of it is really gorgeous. Also among their stock are beads, purses, funny books, tiny catapults that launch tiny pigs or ninjas, fake cockroaches, antique ribbons, nativity scenes... it's a great store. And they were hiring, so my little brother has his first job working there. Dave and I made a trip down to look at wedding places (omg) and stopped in the store, where he bought a nice pair of chopsticks, a hackey-sack, some little tin soldiers, and a skein of purple sock yarn for me. Yay!

These are going to be little anklets, and I think I'm going to go for that sporty arch-support style, with ribbing around the middle of the foot. I can't decide if I should do plan 1x1 ribbing or a 1x1 twisted rib. If I go plain, I'll probably have to transfer to 0's. Any thoughts? And should I do slip stitch all over the heel to make it extra cushy and sporty, or just go for sleek? It's not like I'll be running in these, of course.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 7/03/2007 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cool that you're knitting your veil. You're much more ambitious than I was!

That store sounds awesome too. There's a store like that in Portland that I love, but it doesn't carry yarn--only a tiny selection of knitting books.

 
At 7/03/2007 1:00 PM , Blogger g-girl said...

how in the world did you complete that scarf sooooo quickly?? An ex-coworker of mine started that scarf before the last movie came out and she didn't finish it in time. pretty purple socks! And what a cool little shop to have nearby!

 
At 7/03/2007 1:20 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

What a nice, warm scarf! I'm sure it will protect against Nargles and Crumple-Horned Snorkacks, both.

That looks like a good start to your veil!

For heels, my fave is Eye of Partridge, which you have perhaps noticed. I haven't tried putting it on the bottom of the heel, but I've thought about it. I think it would be nice.

 
At 7/03/2007 1:25 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Very cool scarf! I'm rereading the 6th book and love Luna more than ever.

 
At 7/03/2007 2:21 PM , Blogger sherriknits said...

Your veil is going to be beautiful. I am so excited to hear about your wedding plans...of course it's fun to be on the other side of ours! :)
Love that sock yarn!

 
At 7/04/2007 12:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf is great--not crazy at all. I can't wait to see the finished veil.

 
At 7/09/2007 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just hilarious! I totally looked at that and thought "Harry Potter" and then I see that it's totally a HP scarf! I feel sooo smart since I'm not even that much of a HP guru, it just reminded me of it for some strange reason =)

 
At 7/13/2007 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I knit my first very fine laceweight yarn, I was told to work from the outside of the ball instead and to put it in a ziploc bag to keep it from getting dirty and to feed the yarn I was working out of. Worked *great*, and didn't collapse into a pile of goo at all.

Email me - I'm curious about the store you are talking about. I need a catapult for ninjas. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home