Sunday, December 02, 2007

The state of my Christmas

Christmas is coming. Are you ready? I... might be.

I've got my tree up now, and I seem to have just the right number of tiny socks and sweaters for the two sides that face the room. I'd like to cover the rest of the tree if I can, but I'm happy with the state of things so far.


Many thanks to my mom and Noricum for donating sock yarn scraps. I think I am set. Noricum sent me yarn all the way from Canada! In return, I'll be sending some her way that she can use in her beautiful sock yarn blanket. There are quite a few balls of varying sizes, but the smallest one was also my favorite. And just enough for a sock.


Any idea what this one is? It's so pretty!

Last year I wrapped garland around the balcony rail, but it didn't seem worth the effort this year. On December 26 Dave and I are moving into a new apartment together. I have gotten to the point in my academic career where I do not need to be on campus more than once a week, so I'm moving to his town an hour and a half away. It's been two and a half years since we lived in the same town, and I am really looking forward to seeing him every day.

But anyway, it didn't seem like I should put forth all the effort to put garland up outside, but I didn't want to just keep it in the box, so I got out one piece and draped it over my bookshelf. Festive, no?


I've helpfully labeled each section over on the flickr page, if you want any insight into my library.

As for gifts? I have two completed pairs of socks to give away. But the gifts I most wanted to finish are giving me fits.

I was going to make Dave an afghan. Over Thanksgiving he decided he wanted color work, so we picked out a second color and... it is backordered. Until December 21. Gonna have to think of something else.

I've been working on Tom's Comet Gauntlets on and off. Over Thanksgiving I got the hand done and knit the first finger, then stopped so Tom would have something to try on. The danged thing is way, way too small in the wrist. Still. Even after I frogged like halfway down the arm and reknit it, leaving out the final six decreases. This thing is going to need major surgery, and I am Not In The Mood. Any ideas what to get a seventeen year old boy who really would've liked a pair of knit gloves for Christmas?


With the failure of these two projects, I decided to go ahead and make a pair of socks for Dave's mom. This project had been on the back burner because I really wanted to do the other two, but since I was not destined to make either of those boys anything I decided to turn my attentions to something I already knew how to do and already had the yarn for. And I'd use a real pattern instead of writing one, because I have had enough of designing for a little while.


These are the Embossed Leaves socks from Favorite Socks, and I love them so. The pattern is relatively easy and the yarn is soft and lovely. I am so much happier knitting these than I was struggling with the gauntlets. The gauntlets will happen, for Tom's August birthday at the latest, but for now I am content to relax and let somebody else do the thinking for me.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 12/02/2007 7:21 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Love the color of the Embossed Leaves sock. What a shame about Tom's gloves, that one looks so cool.

 
At 12/03/2007 7:26 AM , Blogger Da Gu Ma said...

The socks are lovely! Maybe a little break is just what Tom's gloves need - minimize the pressure! That flickr photo with the labels is the coolest thing ever!!

 
At 12/03/2007 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer about the gloves and the afghan. Sometimes it just doesn't work out to do gifts with such a deadline, so it's good that you're not going to go crazy try to get it done. Your tree is too cute!

 
At 12/03/2007 12:02 PM , Blogger Susie H said...

Oh, too bad about the gauntlets. They are still the Coolest Things Ever. I hope you'll be able to work them out after a break. Love your shelving, btw!

 
At 12/04/2007 12:05 PM , Blogger noricum said...

That one is Lang Jawoll Cotton colour #52, I do believe. I had to google for the colour, and found some here: http://www.carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product91.html
(It's probably in my yarn book, but that's at home.)

 
At 12/09/2007 8:29 AM , Blogger Meredith said...

Your little tree looks perfect! I'm trying to get some more ornaments done this weekend, so I'll have to try your pattern.

 
At 12/13/2007 4:02 PM , Blogger Carol said...

I just love your little sock...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home