Friday, November 03, 2006

I am teh winnAr

Socktoberfest wound up being pretty great for me. Not only did I finish those fabulous kneesocks (and thank you guys so much for the compliments! warms my heart!) but I also won one of the prizes in the drawing! At some point the postman will bring me this 100% fabulous Yarn Pirate sock yarn. The colorway is called "Punkin Head." I'm so excited! These aren't normally colors I would choose for myself, so this is helping me get out of my "box" and I know I'll love them.


I've finally started my Christmas knitting. I started Dad's socks (the first time) Wednesday before last, the same day I finished my kneesocks. God willing and the creek don't flood these will be toe-up, two at a time on two circs. I started them this way twice, and got about ten rows into the foot the second time when I realized that the pattern I was using just wasn't working out. For one thing the socks were about an inch bigger around than my dad's foot, and the yarn was too dark to show the pattern (Stansfield #10 from Sensational Knitted Socks). I frogged again last night and started just one toe using a simple 3x2 ribbing. This way if I have to frog again, it'll be a smaller loss than the last two times. Eventually I will do the other toe, too, and will knit them mostly at the same time. Maximum yarn usage!


As further evidence that the third time is (hopefully) the charm, this is what I'm trying to knit for my three-year-old cousin. You may recognize this yarn as leftovers from my mitten project a while back.

It all started as a hat. I used my gauge notes from the mittens but TOTALLY BOTCHED THE MATH and wound up with a hat that was supposed to be 20" around but was, in fact, only 16". On top of all this, it was really obvious that I didn't have near enough yarn for a hat. Rather than buy more I decided that what Marianne really needed was one of those wide headbands that keeps your ears warm. And I liked the garter stitch stripes, so I went with that. On the second time, I think I got the math right but the gauge wrong, so now it's 24" around. It fits me perfectly, but I don't need a stripey headwarmer, I need a gift for my adorable cousin. So, that will get frogged again and hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Oh, and speaking of teh winnAr, I did the early voting thing today in a grocery store, and even though I am close to being out of food I didn't buy any food. No idea why. I doubt that too many of the guys I voted for will be winnArs except in all those uncontested elections.

Y'all don't forget to vote! It gives you the right to complain!

2 Comments:

At 11/03/2006 4:37 PM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Nice-looking projects -- I hope the third time's the charm for you. I hope it is for me, too, I've knitted the second Widdershins heel 2x so far and not got it right yet. It only took me 2x on the first sock, so I'm back-sliding, or something.

 
At 11/07/2006 10:17 AM , Blogger Susie H said...

Congrats on the winning of the yarn - love that bouncy color combo!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home