Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I've come undone

Before we begin, go over to Google Video and check out Undone [the Sweater Song] by Weezer. You can ignore the goofy student film if you like and just have that playing in the background for this post, although there is some actual knitting in it and an odd take on the Boyfriend curse.

Anyway, remember this?

Ok sing it with me now

If you want to destroy my sweater
Hold this thread as I walk away
Watch me unravel, I'll soon be naked
Lyin on the floor, I've come undone

I frogged a *whole lot* of that sweater. It took me three chapters of the Age of Innocence (read by Saint Brenda), which I calculate to be over an hour, to get it all ripped and those six lovely balls of yarn wound back into tight little balls. When I washed this sweater it grew. The arm holes were already too big, and this certainly did not help.

Watch me unravel.

With Mary Charles' approval the sweater has been converted to a raglan with 3/4 sleeves, which saves me a great deal of trouble. I've already knit two rounds of the yoke and will basically be fudging this as I go. I've never been so unaffected by the idea of ripping out so much knitting, I'm actually really happy to be getting back on track.

Dad's socks have reached the last row. I was getting on the computer to look up Peggy's Stretchy Bindoff for toe-up socks, as recommended by Saint Brenda, when I saw the email from Mary Charles ok'ing the raglan, and got distracted. But his socks will be done within a half hour the next time I can get to them, which is good news indeed.

Now I have that wonderfully catchy tune in my head. Yay.

8 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 12:25 AM , Blogger AuntieAnn said...

Cute video. Did you see the one with the woman who sings while yarn knits itself into a dress around her? I can't remember where I saw that now -- might have to look. I'm glad the sweater is going well now. I'm finished with first sock of this pair and cast on for second.

Work is very, very crazy. Must go get some sleep.

 
At 12/06/2006 6:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

doh! sorry you had to frog it, but hooray for being back on track!

Coincidentally, I just started frogging a sweater and I had that song in my head (was planning a blog post around it like you! heh). :) So I can relate. And it is taking me forever to rip.

 
At 12/06/2006 11:46 AM , Blogger Susie H said...

I'm actually liking the idea of the yarn with the 3/4 sleeves better...it looks good, even on the sofa in progress. Good luck with Version 2.0!

 
At 12/06/2006 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you manage to read a book while frogging?

I know what you mean about being "unaffected" by ripping back. I would have expected that I would have been completely upset and frustrated by the frogging I had to do in April, but I was pretty zen. It feels better to just accept it as a lesson learned and get going again in the right direction.

 
At 12/06/2006 5:01 PM , Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sorry you had to frog, but good news about turning it into a raglan.

You asked if the scarves in my recent blog post were for a gift or for me. I am thinking that they will go as gifts...either to a couple of friends, or towards next year's mitten tree at church. I think, though, that my two friends will probably be getting them.

 
At 12/07/2006 6:44 AM , Blogger Bear Knits said...

Sometimes when it just isn't working, ripping feels so liberating. The raglan is looking good!

 
At 12/09/2006 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, do you have a theory for the high numbers of knitters who are also history students/librarians and/or writers?

I keep waiting for a relevation (or a revolution)...

Jane

 
At 12/09/2006 11:13 AM , Blogger g-girl said...

Can I tell you that it was on the TUBE network last night and I told my fiance about your blog and how you had mentioned that exact song. I started singing it after this post when I read it the first time and now when I hear it/see it, I'll remember this post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home